Han Solo Star Wars Film Could Possibly Move Playdate from May to December Next Year, Based on Some Rumblings!

Filming for the second “Star Wars” spinoff movie featuring the backstory of Han Solo has reportedly started last month after casting has been completed.

Apparently, the film has a May 25, 2018 target release date, which was a five-month push back from a supposed to be December 2017 release based on previous reports.

But December 2017 is the release date for “Star Wars: Episode 8” so it made sense for Lucasfilm to push back the Han Solo movie, which is to be the second “Star Wars” spinoff film, after “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” came out in December last year.

It was actually Director Chris Miller who announced that filming has begun on the Han Solo movie in London last month. He even paid a bit of homage to the controversy that’s surrounded the famous smuggler for years, reports the Den of Geek.

Chris Miller and fellow “The Lego Movie” director Phil Lord are helming the Han Solo movie whose script was written by brothers Lawrence and Jon Kasdan.

The film stars Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, and Woody Harrelson.

A May to December move?

Rumors have it that the movie could be titled “Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo” or “Han Solo: A Star Wars Story,” but the more interesting speculations is that the May 25, 2018 playdate could still be moved to a December 2018 release.

There are reports claiming that some insiders said that the Han Solo movie could have a December 13, 2018 release date.

If indeed it happens, it would not be the first time a Star Wars movie has moved from May to December. Until recently, May was always the traditional release month for Star Wars movies, but “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” changed that.

“Star Wars: Episode 8” was originally scheduled for a May 2017 release, before it was moved to December. It seems that Disney is more comfortable with a 12-month gap between Star Wars movies rather than six months in between.

However, it should be noted that the playdate move is merely speculation at this time and until Disney Pictures make the confirmation, it should be taken with a fine grain of salt.

Tough shoe to fill in

It was not an easy feat to find an actor worthy of stepping into Harrison Ford’s boots, and Lucasfilm was well aware of that. Reports were saying that over 2,500 actors auditioned for the chance to don the classic boots-and-vest costume.

Those hundreds were whittled down to a shortlist featuring Miles Teller, Dave Franco, Logan Lerman, Jack Reynor, Ansel Elgort, Scott Eastwood, Emory Cohen, and Blake Jenner.

And then another shortlist apparently featuring Reynor, Cohen, Taron Egerton, and Alden Ehrenreich, two of whom had not been mentioned in relation to the role before.

Finally, Ehrenreich has won out, with reports that he impressed Disney and Lucasfilm and was confirmed at Star Wars Celebration in London, reports the Digital Spy.

It is also no surprise at this point that details on the Han Solo movie are light, even lighter than they are for “Rogue One” and “Star Wars: Episode 8,” although there have been rumors that it could be a trilogy rather than just one film.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has said that the film moves closer to a heist or Western type feel.

The movie is a story of a young Han, so it seems unlikely that Chewbacca would be showing his hairy face in the film. It will likely try to tie the young smuggler’s backstory more closely with the bigger “Star Wars” legend.

In a recent interview, Lawrence Kasdan said that it will not be like here is where he was born and this is how he was raised, explaining that it would be showing how Han Solo was 10 years earlier from “A New Hope,” what formed the person and things like that.

Last month, Woody Harrelson has been confirmed for the Han Solo movie and he shall be playing a mentor to the young version of the iconic character played in the film series by equally iconic actor Harrison Ford.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *