‘Horrible Bosses 3’ Unlikely Because ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ was a Box-Office Dud!

This month marks one year from the time that “Horrible Bosses 2” was shown in global theaters. Despite rumors that “Horrible Bosses 3” was in the works from late last year to early this year, it seems like the second sequel to the sleeper blockbuster “Horrible Bosses” of 2011 will no longer be happening.

However, assuming that “Horrible Bosses 3” has been greenlit by the producers and it is to follow the release pattern of the original movie and the first sequel, then it is likely to come out in 2017.

The problem is, up until this time, there is still no word on whether the movie will soon be in production or whether all the cast members will return to reprise their respective roles.

But if the recent statements of one of the key stars of the movie are to be the basis whether the movie is a go or not, it appears that there won’t be any more “Horrible Bosses 3.”

In a recent interview, Jason Bateman, who starred in both films, said that the second movie was a garbage as far as box office goes. He said that it might have something to do with the film’s merits or the timing of the release, but “Horrible Bosses 2” hardly made money at the tills, details E! Online.

“Horrible Bosses 2” was released on November 28, 2014, Thanksgiving Day in the US, but for some reason, it turned out to be a dude in the box-office, when compared to the first movie.

The movie made $106 million in the box-office compared to its production cost that was placed at $42 million. It actually paled in comparison to the box-office result of “Horrible Bosses” shown on June 30, 2011, which grossed $209.6 million with a production cost of only $37 million.

Naturally, New Line Cinema, which produced the two films, has reservations about doing a third installment to the movie franchise.

While $106 million is a box-office success by any movie standard, it is understandable that New Line would be a bit cautious for “Horrible Bosses 3” since there is a chance that the third installment may have a much lesser box-office take than the sequel.

Not Another Horrible Bosses

Jason Bateman starred with Jennifer Aniston, Charlie Day, Jamie Foxx and Jason Sudeikis during the first movie. They reprised their respective roles in the sequel and were joined by Chris Pine and Christoph Waltz.

Bateman said that a lot of people saw the first movie. He explained that there are plenty of films that made a lot of money where no one is interested in seeing another one. He said that some people were saying that they saw the first one and had fun, but they don’t need to go see the second one.

While most of them were skeptical about doing the sequel, it was still a paycheck for everyone so they all decided to come back on board. Unfortunately, the result went below everyone’s expectations.

But he said that it was not their intention to do a bad movie because “Horrible Bosses 2” wasn’t that bad. Bateman personally believes that the timing of the release of the R-rated comedy movie on a big family occasion did not match. This contributed to the downfall of “Horrible Bosses 2” and prevented it from doing well in the box-office.

Anniston Happy to Reprise her Role

On the part of Jennifer Aniston, she says that she had fun doihorrible bosses 2ng the first movie so she was really thrilled to be able to play her character again in “Horrible Bosses 2.” She adds that she was still not finished with her character during the first movie so the sequel was a welcome news for her, notes MTV of UK.

Jennifer said that she had fun working with all her fellow co-stars because she finds them all naturally funny.

 

There were reports early this year that the regular cast members want to seek redemption from “Horrible Bosses 2” in terms of box-office turnout. They wanted to ensure that the third film will do better at the box-office compared to “Horrible Bosses 2.”

Accordingly, Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day, and Jennifer Aniston, went to London and met up with British actor Benedict Cumberbatch, who is a big star in the TV series “Sherlock.”

Apparently, the “Horrible Bosses 2” cast members have worked on convincing Cumberbatch to possibly join them in the next sequel of the comedy film franchise.

In a subsequent interview, Jennifer Aniston disclosed that Benedict Cumberbatch may have already said yes to their offer of being the new boss in the third movie but since there is no official film yet and production has yet to begin, everything is up in the air as of this time.

“Horrible Bosses 2” got a mixed review from film critics, some of whom find the comedy movie offensive especially with regards to the subject of rape.

It is not clear who among the supporting stars in the second movie will be retained for the possible third film. Or who among the previous actors from the first movie, but who did not appear in the second movie, will rejoin the third film.

Colin Farrell and Donald Sutherland were part of the first film, but they were not in the second movie. Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx were both in the two films while Chris Pine was added to the ensemble in “Horrible Bosses 2.” Sean Anders directed the second film while Seth Gordon helmed “Horrible Bosses.”

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *